Thursday, April 15, 2010

So I wasn't last...part 1

Leslie and I met at 8:30 on Saturday. There were lots of professional runners out there who ran, RAN, to the race. THEY RAN TO THE RACE. Ha! It's funny to watch the super runners with legs that are bigger than my head walk to the same starting line as us.

The wind was so extreme it felt like 10 degrees.  Even with a headband and gloves I was miserable.  Leslie didn't have either so I don't know how she was keeping a smile on her face.  After sitting in my car watching everyone warm up we walked to the starting line.  As we are marching in place, Leslie turns and says "Is now a good time to tell you this is really hilly?" with a big shit eating grin on her face.  I just wave off the comment.

We start!  We are at the back.  We are WAY at the back.

Two women in running skirts keep passing us then start walking after they pass us.  This goes on for 4 miles.  To make up for my annoyance (75 passings) the one on the right has her skirt fall off.  Then my pants fall down.  I resolve to buy new pants, this is still not done and the Salt Lake half is in two more sleeps.

We run into the river bottoms and then out for our first hill.  It really sucks.  We pass running skirt girl number 1 who is waiting for her friend to get whatever she needs from her house.  Yes, she stopped at her house.

Back along the same way we came....

Run into river bottoms again, this time on a steep grade with switchbacks down the hill to a long bridge/trail through a marsh.  Mile 5 and we find the "unfinished" part of the trail.  This equates to a .75 mile bit of muddy construction area.  Leslie and I walk.

Running again, feeling kind of good, not hating everyone yet.

Another hill comes up.  All have been steep and this is no different.  We pass the 7 mile point and I must walk.  I have no resolve but Leslie does and she shuffles on ahead.  I make it to the top and try to suck it up.  Leslie is upbeat and I'm thinking we can make it.

Mile 9 ahead and Leslie announces "Look alive, Rick is taking pictures".  Leslie's husband is meeting us at this point to cheer and all I can think is "bathroom!"  After the potty break I try to get going and it's not possible.  I wave Leslie on with a scowl and angry hand motions.   Running skirt girls have passed us.

Mile 10 and I'm depressed.  This is much harder and hillier than expected, it's about 20 degrees and I'm walking.  I call Tasha to complain who offers to pick me up.  I refuse because I'd rather have my internal pity party.

Mile 10.5 and I notice that they are starting to clean up the water table.  Then I'm passed by the truck picking up the signs marking the turns runners should take.  I realize that I've got to get to the finish line. To get to the finish line I have to go up another steep switch back.  I'm trying not to cry/swear loudly/freeze.

Finally on the last 2 miles.  I'm determined to beat the woman ahead of me.  She has been stopping to have her friends take pictures of her along the way.  I have to beat her!  I focus on this instead of the fact that I can't see Leslie's pink top anymore.

Good lord, there are still people trying to rally us at the last half mile and I start up again.  For some reason I don't want them to be disappointed.

1 comment:

Kar said...

I guffawed aloud at the "Her skirt fell off, then my pants fell off" This blog was hilarious. Sorry your misery made me laugh but I am proud of you for trying and finishing. You are a bad ass dude, pants or no pants.